FAQ about ISO 37120 certification
Question: Have you been accredited to certify this standard?
Answer: As we are aware of, there are no accredited auditors for ISO 37xxx standard series.
It is easy to check by reviewing relevant links such as http://www.ilac.org, http://www.iaf.nu, http://search.ukas.com, www.isobench.org/legitimacy-check2.php#, etc.
We hope that ISO 37120 and others in the ISO 37xxx series will get relevant attention later after 2020.
Question: How does your offering differ from that of the World Council on City Data?
Answer: Our approach to the certification has the following principal differences compared to the one by WCCD.
WCCD solution (based on web descriptions and relevant publications):
- Providing the customer municipality/community willing to be certified with instructions and guidance regarding ISO 37120 requirements and documents presenting a set of indicators and description of data that is necessary for its calculations.
- Customer collects the data for some time period, e.g. last year calculates indicators and presents the results in the relevant documents to WCCD experts.
- WCCD experts audit the data and indicators
- WCCD issues their certificate is based on the results and add the city its registry of ISO 37120 certified cities.
- As a matter of fact, such certificate fixes the audit results for the given moment of time. It is a static data representation. After each past year, the value of the certificate as a statement of compliance decreases and become less relevant due to the natural question “Well, it was then. What is going on now?”
- The results of the certification are: (1) the Certificate by WCCD sent to the relevant municpality and (2) the line in the WCCD registry of certified cities. There is no transparency of results and its autoamtic real time updating.
- Same as by WCCD #1.
- We set the digital transformation engine Smart City Monitor in cloud for the municipality to run the urban model presenting a city as cyber-physical system in full compliance with requirements of ISO 37120 (see online demo at https://smartcity.pharosnavigator.com).
- We provide the customer with data samples in MS Excel spreadsheets prepared in compliance with ISO 37120 that can be used as templates for preparing relevant local content and instruct how to prepare the data and introduce actual city planning targets.
- The municipality (or its local agencies/partners) prepares relevant data in these spreadsheets and upload them into some local storage or Dropbox or Google docs and keep its updating monthly.
- Smart City Monitor automatically imports all updated data from all these data sources in real time, calculates all ISO 37120 indicators and in relation to city targets and identifies the status of each theme-object (Energy, Economics, Environment, Education, Transportation, Safety/Security, etc) as well as the sustainability status of the whole city.
- The results are presented online at the city dashboards and interactive reports in real time providng full transparency of local governance performance accordingly to the international standards. The access to these dashboards and reports could be made public accordingly to municipality policy
- ASIDEES asks the municipality to issue an official document stating the data quality and trustfulness. Then our experts check the data quality and indicator time series based on third-party statistics. If there are discrepancies, we present it to the municipality and ask to check and correct the source data.
- When all is clarified and fixed, ASIDEES issues its official certificate of compliance based on the following :
- Availability of online real-time results of the city performance that is available for all its stakeholders including municipality itself, the general public, various auditors as well as ASIDEES.
- Municipality statement about its data quality and trustfulness and monthly updating procedure. The copy of the document made public as well.
- This certification procedure actually assists customer municipalities in the effective public presentation of their achievements based on our novel digital transformation technology Smart City Monitor. It makes the city performance fully compliant with the requirements of ISO 37120 standard and transparent for the community at any moment of time presenting actual city KPI dynamics in time. The results depend only on the quality of data updated monthly in the spreadsheets. The urban model is open to customisation by adding new local or standard KPIs, infrastructural objects in the city, requirements by other standards (e.g. ISO37122, etc) and can effective assist municipalities and urban providers in smart governance and smart management.
Question: Does ASIDEES run the data verification?
Answer: ASIDEES does not verify the data but asks for the official statement of data quality and trustfulness by the municipality as a responsible public entity. The online results make such verification available and open for anyone (like in the open source software) and thus significantly increase the responsibility of local governance body.
Question: Do you have or plan to have the Registry of Certified Cities similar to the WCCD?
Answer: We believe that any static registry presenting the past certificates issued several years back are not the right way to go. Each city shall have the dynamic compliance that certifies the current state of performance accordingly to the ISO standards that are made transparent and open to its citizens and the general public.
To meet the challenge in the new level of sophistication and transparency we plan to introduce the value-added service “Global Certified Cities Transparency Index” (the name is provisional) that presents the ongoing performances all certified cities in real time and in one place and allows its users to apply various benchmarking and analytic tools.
Question: Where the newly offered certification procedure was applied in practice?
Answer: The new approach was tested in the Smart Urbana project in 2017 in 5 European cities of 5 countries. This year we have an implementation in Latvia and several other international projects in preparation.
Contact us to apply for the new certification presenting the actual achievements of the local governance !